Now that CHI is just around the corner, we would like to invite you again to communicate any accessibility needs/requests by the early registration deadline, which is Monday, March 18, 2019. These needs may include ASL translation and special equipments, food requirements, accessibility issues in terms of getting around the venue, etc.
We have been working on a few items, including:
- Working with student volunteer (SV) chairs to train student volunteers to handle accessibility issues during the conference;
- Ensuring that the washroom signage are following the SIGCHI guidelines;
- Ensuring that paper programs are available to those who need or prefer them;
A few other things you should know:
- CHI 2019 will be held in the three different venues across the central SEC, Crown Plaza Hotel, and Armadillo building. Therefore, you will have to walk a fair amount to travel across these venues;
- We do provide a desensitization room, a quiet small low sensory input room, for those who need to disengage;
- CHI is flash-free, which means that there will be no flash photography allowed at the conference, as it will affect people with epilepsy or those prone to migraines.
For other information about accessibility at CHI 2019, please consult:
- The CHI 2019 accessibility FAQ page;
- The conference venue (SEC) accessibility page.
From your accessibility co-chairs,
Edith Law (University of Waterloo)
Sunyoung Kim (Rutgers University)