Date: 7th May
Venue: Hall 4
Welcome to the 4th Diversity & Inclusion Lunch at CHI 2019.
CHI has been a trailblazer in its commitment towards Diversity and Inclusion through efforts such as the CHI Women’s Breakfast, gender-neutral restrooms, and establishing ‘CHI Diversity and Inclusion Statement’ to name a few. We share, we listen, and we grow together in strength and spirit as a community. Honoring this legacy, the Diversity & Inclusion Lunch at CHI 2019 is intended as a social-peer platform to:
- Celebrate the achievements of this diverse community,
- Discuss issues that thwart innovation by impeding inclusion, and
- Collaborate on strategies to empower those who have been marginalized.
- Lunch buffet with several options (including vegetarian)
- $15 for students / $35 for professional members
- Only 500 seats available
We welcome all CHI 2019 attendees to join us for the lunch by registering during the registration for the conference: https://chi2019.acm.org/for-attendees/registration/ Please Note: the option for registering for the ‘Diversity and Inclusion Lunch’ is under Course Registrations.
Please note: During past CHI, this event was ‘Sold Out’. So, we encourage confirming your attendance by registering early. If you have already registered for CHI 2019, you can go back and add the event later.
What is the lunch about?
- “Speaker-sparks” will be shared by invited speakers. Each will share a quick story and then ask a question for table groups to discuss;
- Discussion in small table groups on topics concerning diversity issues;
- Participants can be students, researchers, academics, and industry professionals at any stage of their career.
- Issues discussed during the lunch include but are not limited to race, ethnicity and culture; age and professional experience; gender identity and sexual orientation; (dis)ability and impairments; religious beliefs; work-life-balance and needs of parents.
Diversity & Inclusion Lunch Chairs, CHI 2019
Anke Brock, ENAC – Université Toulouse, France
Nitesh Goyal, Google, New York, US
Gopinaath Kannabiran, Aarhus University, Danmark
Anicia Peters, Namibia University of Science and Technology, Namibia